Practical and proven methods to reduce carbon emissions and deliver on your climate commitments.
Climate change is impacting the energy industry now more than ever, with most companies enhancing strategies to support energy efficiency, emissions reduction, decarbonization, methane intensity targets, and water conservation. Disclosing climate-related risks, regulations, emissions targets, carbon pricing, investment and financial pressures, and demand destruction requires a competitive approach to asset operations. Solomon can help.
- Understand the Baseline – Assess your operations against peers using Solomon's trusted benchmark data and best practices, including EII® – Energy Intensity Index™, the recognized gold standard used for measuring energy efficiency.
- Frame Improvement Opportunities – Define practical recommendations based on a best practice assessment leveraging the most comprehensive database of comparative performance analysis in the energy industry.
- Implement – Set realistic targets, develop action plans, outline roadmaps, and monitor improvements.
- Improve investor propositions and mitigate climate related risk
- Understand achievable targets, timelines and options
- Reduce energy and water consumption with efficient operations
- Minimize flaring and other sources of hydrocarbon loss and emissions
- Improve reliability, reduce unplanned emissions, and optimize operations
- Experts averaging >25 years of operating experience ensures actionable insight and practical solutions.
- 40+ years of energy industry knowledge and capabilities, applying best practices of top industry performers.
- World Oil Refining Logistics and Demand (WORLD) Model® and databases.
- Proprietary databases spanning the value chain, including: EII® – Energy Intensity Index™, CEI – Carbon Emissions Index, CWB® – Complexity-Weighted Barrel™, CWT® – Complexity-Weighted Tonne™, and ESI™ – Energy Sustainability Index™.
Third Party Engagements
- Establish consistent performance metrics for tracking and reporting performance.
- Support operator focus on improving energy performance.
- Provide regional trends, insight, and outlooks based on benchmark information.
Overcoming Obstacles to Improve Energy Efficiency in Refining
"When evaluating energy efficiency opportunities, non-energy cost impacts are often undervalued. Focusing on energy usage alone limits the potential savings that refiners can achieve in total. Instead, companies need to look at the big picture—how energy efficiency improvements affect operating and maintenance costs, GHG emissions and water use." Kevin Proops, Vice President Refining & Logistics
New Energy Efficiency Metric in 2020 to Support Carbon Emissions Strategies
New metric allows companies to compare the efficiency of energy supplied to the site alongside the traditional assessment of the energy efficiency of the individual process units using the Energy Intensity Index™ (EII®) metric, a familiar and established industry-leading metric of comparative performance for a site’s energy consumption within similar facilities.
Refineries to Remain Competitive Under Potential Climate Change Scenarios
A major oil and gas company needed to understand if its refineries would remain competitive under potential climate change regulations. Benchmarking and global trade flow analysis were applied to understand which refineries were at risk of closure under both the 450 Scenario and the New Policies Scenario.
Sustainability Presentation - AFPM 2021 Annual Meeting
Charles J. Reith, Jr., Solomon's Chief Executive Officer spoke at the American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers (AFPM) 2021 Annual Meeting Virtual Edition on 13 April 2021.
Energy Efficiency, More Crucial Than Ever - ERTC Virtual 2020
Presentation delivered at the European Refining Technology Conference (ERTC) Virtual Conference 2020. Learn how energy efficiency projects can deliver savings well beyond energy alone, and how non-energy OpEx is significantly influenced by EII levels.
Solomon benchmarking is the key to understanding your operational gaps relative to peers across a wide range of key performance indicators (KPIs) and helps you better compete in today’s ever-changing industry. Our proprietary database and benchmarking studies enable a deep understanding of the factors driving your industry and competition; insight not possible with internal benchmarking.