Enhance your terminal operations with data-driven insight and peer comparisons.
Identifying improvement opportunities in your refined products, truck loading terminal operations can be challenging without an outside perspective and a true peer-to-peer comparison. The Worldwide Petroleum Terminal Productivity Performance Analysis (PTPA Study) yields valuable data-driven insight that identifies improvement opportunities in petroleum product terminal operations. The PTPA Study highlights performance gaps with peers and compares your operations on an equal footing, regardless of size or complexity, uncovering valuable opportunities often overlooked.
Figure 1. Cost Performance Regression
The PTPA Study leverages proprietary data collected over the past 25 years to benchmark your petroleum terminals against other terminal facilities in designated peer groups. This unique external benchmarking exercise is essential to identify performance improvement opportunities often missed when benchmarking internally.
One example of how the study identifies your terminal’s performance gaps is through cost performance regression (see Figure 1). Terminal costs are regressed against terminal throughput to determine the terminal cost opportunity gaps. Recognizing operating cost differences among terminals based on transportation modes, the PTPA Study segregates results into these prime receipt mode categories: Pipeline, Barge, Tanker, Pipeline and Marine, and Road, Rail, and Refinery Truck Loading Rack. Performance gaps are monetized to show you the value of opportunities identified.
The study evaluates asset efficiency and effectiveness (tank turnover and truck loading rack utilization) against top competitors, provides insight into tank integrity expenditures, personnel utilization, energy consumption and cost, and identifies operational excellence enhancements in reliability and maintenance.
The PTPA Trucking Study analyzes the efficiencies of on-site and off-site operations. Metrics include:
- Fleet productivity and utilization
- Company fleet versus common carrier analysis
- Opportunity gap analysis based on trip distance and cost
- Truck and driver utilization
- Reliability: spills, runouts, accidents, and driver safety
Learn More & How You Can Participate
Obtain a clear picture of your competitive position with data-driven, actionable insight.
Join the PTPA Study to leverage study results to drive performance excellence and enable success.
The study leverages a large international database with
refined product, truck loading petroleum terminals.
Solomon can help you:
- Set and prioritize cost and operational targets by terminal.
- Identify regional KPIs.
- Validate and challenge internal perspectives of both market gaps and competition.
- Feed action plans for continuous improvement programs.
- Aid in the search for sustainable differentiation and enhance strategic thinking.
- Provide access to market trends and structural changes.
- Promote communications among internal stakeholders.
Participants receive the following:
- Reliable metrics for analyzing performance
- Rigorous data validation
- Comparison to facilities with diverse prime receipt modes, throughput, and terminal capacity
- Comparisons of electricity consumption and cost, truck loading rack utilization and tank turnovers
- Performance comparisons at the terminal level
- Executive summary presentation with actionable insights supported by study data
Closing Performance Gaps
What gaps do you struggle to close? What quick and near-term actions will have the biggest impact on performance excellence and profitability? We know what good looks like… and how to get there.
Data Quality, Benchmarking Methodology
A Foundation for Effective Comparative Performance Analysis and Decision Support
We prioritize the integrity and confidentiality of participant-submitted data and rigorously review that data before benchmarking begins. Then, we employ our normalization process and benchmarking methodology to provide valuable and trusted peer group comparisons that deliver meaningful KPIs. Finally, our staff of senior consultants apply their deep industry experience to develop practical insight and recommendations to enable your success.
If your organization is new to one of our studies or has experienced challenges completing the study data input forms, Solomon can help. Data quality and a proven benchmarking methodology enable results and insight you can trust. Contact us today!