Gain an independent, objective estimate of your OpEx for new and existing Upstream projects.
Inaccurately estimating OpEx over a project’s lifespan can result in a mismatch between the project-value proposition and the actual asset performance. Our benchmarking studies show that poor operational design decisions lead to operating costs that can be sharply higher than initial estimates. OpEx can be more difficult to assess than CapEx. While OpEx may be lower, it is spread out over years and based on diverse technical and economic assumptions.
Solomon’s New Projects OpEx Estimator (NPOE) solution is the answer to giving you the support to act with confidence, either through a one-time service or a subscription-based tool. Leverage life-cycle benchmarks and proprietary data gained from over 35 years of verified benchmarking and operations analysis of over 5,000 onshore and offshore O&G fields and 95 natural gas processing plants, and guide your planning and decision-making with data-driven insight.
The NPOE tool uses a reversing methodology on Solomon’s normalized cost data that account for differences in structure, technical completion, age, reservoir composition and depletion, and distance to shore base whereby an objective estimate and forecast of production operational metrics including OpEx, staffing levels, energy consumption standards, and carbon emissions based on benchmarking data, can be established. Receive detailed estimates in specific cost categories including well servicing, maintenance, chemicals, energy, staffing, transportation, and others.
Whether you are large or small company with multiple projects or one project, we have a solution to benefit you. A few example applications include the ability to:
- Evaluate the impact of facility design scenarios and set operational performance targets for offshore, onshore, subsea tieback, unconventional, and gas processing plant projects worldwide.
- Verify your budget using benchmarking data and receive manager project approval.
- Compare future assets’ performance against industry averages and the performance of an owned asset against other assets.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Option A: For large clients with many projects; subscription to a web-based tool for estimating the OpEx of multiple projects under different technical design scenarios.
- Option B: For smaller clients with 1+ projects; consulting service to provide expert guidance and operational insight on your project’s design scenarios at any stage of project life cycle and verify your projected budget. We use the tool for you and provide detailed results, assumptions, and recommendations on where you are under/spending compared to your peers.
- Operating expenditures (maintenance, labor, energy, others)
- Staffing levels (operations, maintenance, support)
- Energy consumption standards
- Carbon emissions
- Probabilistic cost estimates (P10–P90)
Global and regional competitiveness benchmarks by operation type
Normalized benchmarks based on project complexity level
- Total Operating Cost
- SRM Cost
- Field Labor Cost & Staffing Levels
- Chemicals Cost
- Helicopter Transportation Cost
- Boat Transportation Cost
- Field G&A Cost
- Energy Cost
- Well Servicing & Workovers Cost
- Overhead Cost
- Gas Pipelines O&M Cost
- Support strategic and tactical planning
- Verify your projected budget using benchmarking data for manager project approval
- Examine cost basis for field development planning (NPV analysis and portfolio examination)
- Monitor potential cost optimization opportunities based on design scenarios
- Improve field reserves estimates (economic limits)
Predict accurate future OpEx costs for your Upstream projects using over 35 years of benchmarking data.
Upstream Operator Reduces Risk and Increases Confidence in OpEx Budget for New Gulf of Mexico Project
Customer Use Cases:
- A global operator uses the module to estimate OpEx lifecycle for business opportunities worldwide, at every stage of project development (conceptual, feed, construction).
- A national oil company (NOC) used the module as an input to maximize its portfolio of investments and assess its fields economic limit.
- A coal-bed methane producer used the modules to quantify the impact of the aggressive growth plan for future OpEx needs.
- An offshore operator used the module to estimate how changes in its gathering strategy would impact future cost allocation by field.
- An independent producer established a medium-term “unit operating cost per barrel” target based on sharp increases to produced water level.
- A regional operator used the module consultancy service to verify the project budget for manager project approval.
Data Quality, Benchmarking Methodology
A Foundation for Effective Comparative Performance Analysis and Decision Support
We prioritize the integrity and security of participant-submitted data and rigorously review that data before benchmarking begins. Then, we employ our normalization process and benchmarking methodology to provide valuable and trusted peer group comparisons that deliver meaningful KPIs. Finally, our staff of senior consultants apply their deep industry experience to develop practical insight and recommendations to enable your success.
Additional Studies & Analysis
With 30+ years of upstream benchmarking experience and the world’s largest database of upstream performance data and metrics, Solomon knows what “good” looks like for any given type of operation. The Offshore Study assesses your performance against peers and identifies cost and production improvement opportunities. The study focuses on critical KPIs, including operating cost, cost drivers, production efficiency, and uptime reliability.
If your organization is new to one of our studies or has experienced challenges completing the study data input forms, Solomon can help. Data quality and a proven benchmarking methodology enable results and insight you can trust. Contact us today!
Solomon benchmarking is the key to understanding your operational gaps relative to peers across a wide range of key performance indicators (KPIs) and helps you better compete in today’s ever-changing industry. Our proprietary database and benchmarking studies enable a deep understanding of the factors driving your industry and competition; insight not possible with internal benchmarking.