How do you compare on DCS performance, total cost of ownership, cybersecurity, and effectiveness of digitalization?
The Worldwide Process Control Systems Performance Analysis (Process Control Systems Study) delivers visibility into how your Process Control Systems (PCS) compare to those of industry peers. Increase gross margin and get the information you need to guide major budgetary choices regarding your PCS.
Solomon’s team of consultants has real-world experience managing and working in the field of industrial automation and control with an array of companies at diverse sites. Only Solomon has the combination of data, benchmarking methodology, and expert analysis you need to guide you in your critical digitalization decisions.
Study results answer critical questions including:
- Is the performance of my plant automation systems, including my distributed controls system (DCS), in line with that of others in the industry?
- How does my implementation of digitalization and cybersecurity compare with industry norms?
- Does our team expend the right amount of effort and capital to keep up with industry peers and maintain reliability and operational availability in our process units?
- What gaps exist in our PCS, and what best practices could improve our operations?
- Are the systems optimized to deliver needed gains in energy efficiency and sustainability?
Gain insight into how your risk reduction and process control practices affect the following:
- Process alarm policies
- Knowledge management plans
- Operator training simulation
- Use of digital assets to maximize energy and sustainability performance
- Autonomous operations
- On-stream analyzers and inferentials
- Process Control personnel
- Network systems for Process Control
- Safety instrumented systems
- Wireless technology use
Sample Study Results Output
Normalized Work Hours per Week
Total Process Control Systems Staffing
New Process Control Systems Study Delievers Actionable Insights, Impact on Profitability
The new study builds on and replaces the Automation Study, first launched in 2016.
In response to client feedback and in consultation with suppliers, Solomon has added key inputs and outputs to the Process Control Systems Study. Additions include relative gross margin analysis and metrics to enable improved uptime and reliability.
- DCS total cost of ownership, including the costs of maintenance and software
- Cost of ownership versus DCS age (industry norms versus actual)
- Enhanced DCS analysis, including:
- Number of hardware/software faults per year
- Hours of downtime caused by hardware/software faults
- Number of process control download changes per year (improvements, optimization, stability, transmitters)
- In-depth cybersecurity analysis
- Enhanced review of digital strategies, models, and data capabilities
- Analysis of autonomous systems enabling remote operations
- More detailed analysis of console operator loading, including inputs/outputs per operator, control loops per operator, and alarms per operator
- High-level best practices and a global view of your site’s PCS staffing (predicted versus actual)
Learn how your industry peers address the following:
- Real-time optimization (RTO)
- Advanced process controls (APC)
- Use of inferentials
- Data control system hardware/software
- Regulatory control
Learn How You Can Participate
Obtain a clear picture of your competitive position with data-driven, actionable insight. Make informed decisions and justify your strategies and improvement projects.
"If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got." ALBERT EINSTEIN
Data Quality, Benchmarking Methodology
A Foundation for Effective Comparative Performance Analysis and Decision Support
We prioritize the integrity and confidentiality of participant-submitted data and rigorously review that data before benchmarking begins. Then, we employ our normalization process and benchmarking methodology to provide valuable and trusted peer group comparisons that deliver meaningful KPIs. Finally, our staff of senior consultants apply their deep industry experience to develop practical insight and recommendations to enable your success.
Additional Studies & Analysis
Compare your performance to that of other companies on the basis of size, feedstock, age, and region.
If your organization is new to one of our studies or has experienced challenges completing the study data input forms, Solomon can help. Data quality and a proven benchmarking methodology enable results and insight you can trust. Contact us today!
Learn what sets the World’s Best refineries apart from the rest, and how you can improve your performance.