Identify specific changes that you can make to drive performance improvement.
Where do you have gaps and to what extent can you close these gaps with your current refinery configuration? Solomon’s Deep Drill-Down (3D) Performance Analysis will help you dive deeper into specific areas of the fuels study database and help you answer your performance improvement questions.
Using one or more custom peer groups for comparison, we work with you to select a group that aligns to your configuration, geography, and other parameters. Then we compare your data to the best performers in the industry for validation and opportunity screening. The complete analysis goes beyond defining your potential inefficiencies—it goes deep into the data to show you specific changes that you can make to drive performance improvement and achieve your business objectives.
You receive a custom analysis that answers your performance improvement questions and provides a clear set of realistic targets. Then, combined with our advisory services solutions, we can work with you to develop a roadmap to close your gaps and improve performance.
Refinery Energy Analysis Reveals 95M USD/yr in Savings Opportunities
Solomon's detailed analysis outlines a path to improve energy performance by a potential 22 Energy Intensity Index™ (EII®).
Customize Your Analysis to Meet Your Performance Improvement Needs
Find opportunities by diving deep into specific areas to determine how to quickly close your gaps at the lowest cost. Potential areas of focus are Energy Management, Gross Margin, Personnel, Maintenance, Operating Expense (OpEx), and Process Unit Analysis (yield gaps).
Focus Areas and Situations Where a 3D Data Analysis Can Provide Answers:
- Your site’s Energy Intensity Index™ (EII®) is higher than desired.
- Energy is a significant operating cost, and you are looking to improve.
- You need to understand where you can improve process unit energy performance.
- You have a larger steam system compared to your competitors.
- Your furnace efficiencies are lower than 90%.
- You want to provide insight into your energy gaps at the process unit or equipment level without any additional effort from your staff.
- The cost to produce transportation fuels is above average in your region.
- You have a lower gross margin compared to refineries of a similar complexity.
- Your raw material costs are higher than those of your peers.
- You want to know how process unit operations impact gross margin.
- You need insight into your margin opportunities at a refinery and process unit level without any additional effort from your staff.
- Your refinery’s Personnel Efficiency Index (PEI™) is higher than desired.
- You feel you have too many contractors on site.
- Personnel costs are a larger portion of your operating expense than desired.
- You need help understanding how to improve the organizational effectiveness of your staff.
- You want to ensure that you have enough operators and technical staff.
- You need to identify improvement areas in both your maintenance and non-maintenance personnel to optimize your staffing levels and lower costs.
- You would like to identify the maintenance gaps at the process unit level that are preventing you from achieving a 97% operational availability or better.
- You need to understand if you have a high maintenance demand for the size and complexity of your site.
- You want to ensure that you are spending enough on maintenance to maintain the reliability of your site.
- You need your turnaround duration and interval fully optimized.
- You need to understand if you have too many maintenance contractors on site.
- You want to identify strategies to reduce overall operating costs at your refinery.
- You need to assess all the factors contributing to yield gaps for each conversion unit type.
- You want to understand what is preventing full gross margin potential on each unit.
Accelerate identifying performance improvement objectives. Receive a custom analysis of your data in the areas important to you.
Benefits of a Deep Performance Analysis
3D performance analysis accelerates the process of identifying your performance improvement objectives:
- Obtain a deeper analysis of specific areas reported in the Fuels Study through comparisons with carefully selected peer groups.
- Get answers to your performance improvement questions for specific areas through custom-built analysis.
- Quantify the value of potential improvements to help justify additional resources needed to make changes.
- Analyze your refinery’s proprietary data to develop and prioritize the steps of a unique path to improvement.
Conducting Deep Drill Down (3D) Data Diagnostics is the first step in the Performance Excellence Process
Learn How You Can Participate
Obtain a clear picture of your competitive position with data-driven, actionable insight. Make informed decisions and justify your strategies and improvement projects.
"If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got." ALBERT EINSTEIN
Data Quality, Benchmarking Methodology
A Foundation for Effective Comparative Performance Analysis and Decision Support
We prioritize the integrity and confidentiality of participant-submitted data and rigorously review that data before benchmarking begins. Then, we employ our normalization process and benchmarking methodology to provide valuable and trusted peer group comparisons that deliver meaningful KPIs. Finally, our staff of senior consultants apply their deep industry experience to develop practical insight and recommendations to enable your success.
If your organization is new to one of our studies or has experienced challenges completing the study data input forms, Solomon can help. Data quality and a proven benchmarking methodology enable results and insight you can trust. Contact us today!
Learn what sets the World’s Best refineries apart from the rest, and how you can improve your performance.